University of Minnesota Health Service Commitment
Now more than ever, we are committed to facilitating seamless transitions as patients move among the specialists at our hospitals, clinics and services in community-based facilities throughout the region. We will collaborate with you to provide the best possible care for your patients. In addition, we plan to ensure smoother transitions by having our facilities and care teams share resources and systems.
When you work with University of Minnesota Health physicians, you can expect:
- Access to our expertise. We are available to consult about your patients, with or without a referral.
- Appointment access. Our goal, whenever possible, is to see your patient within 5 days if requested.
- Follow-up communication. You will hear from us within a week after your patient is seen.
- Referrals. Through our Physician Referral Service, you can make a referral, request a consult or admit a patient at 888-318-3627 (Adults) or 888-543-7866 (Pediatrics).
Download a printable referral form and fax the completed form to 612-884-0659.
24/7 University of Minnesota Health Referrals
- University of Minnesota Medical Center
- Phone: 612-672-7000
- Toll-Free: 888-318-DOCS (3627)
- Cardiovascular - University of Minnesota Heart Care
- Phone: 612-365-5000
- Select Option 1 for appointments at University of Minnesota Medical Center
- Select Option 2 for appointments at Fairview Southdale Hospital, Fairview Ridges Hospital, and all other Fairview medical centers and clinics
- Cancer - University of Minnesota Cancer Care
- University of Minnesota Children's Hospital
- Toll-Free: 888-KIDS-UMN (888-543-7866)
Patients with urgent medical or surgical needs are given priority in our appointment system. Appointments for non-urgent problems are scheduled several days to several weeks in advance.
We will, to the fullest extent of its resources, accept emergency cases on the same or next day. Patients requiring hospitalization may be referred to an emergency room for evaluation.
Information Needed to Schedule the Appointment
Please be prepared to provide the following information when you call for an appointment:
- Patient's information (name, gender, address, phone number, date of birth)
- Reason for the referral, symptoms and diagnosis (including services you would like us to provide)
- Referring physician information (UPIN/NPI, physician name, clinic, phone and fax number, address, contact name)